Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers spoke candidly with The Sun about the band’s past drug use, that claimed the life of guitarist Hillel Slovak on June 25, 1988. “The drug situation was a problem. If you grow up in Hollywood, drugs are there,” he admitted. “The music and the friendship were the focus but the drugs got out of hand when Anthony and Hillel became junkies.” After Slovak died from an overdose, the band was ripped apart. Flea, still devastated by the loss, raspingly drawls: “Had I been smarter, I could have been more helpful in saving his life. We learned by fu**ing up.”
The story at thesun.co.uk has since been removed.